Changes to LPAs
The OPG promised it would simplify the Lasting Power of Attorney form this year. It was originally hoped the OPG would merge the Property & Financial Affairs form with the Health & Welfare form to reduce the cost of having both. This has not happened but still some progress has been made.
From the 1 July 2015 the new style forms:
- Remove the requirement to notify someone of the registration and leaves this as optional – it is part of the LPA
- Reduce the number of certificate providers needed to one
- Encourage immediate registration by incorporating the registration pages within the form
The total length of the form (ignoring the continuation sheets) is now 20 pages even with the registration section.
You can continue to use the existing forms until 1 January 2016 but from that date the new forms must be used to be valid.
FREE monthly newsletter
Wills | Probate | Trusts | Tax | Elderly & Vulnerable Client
- Relevant learning and development opportunities
- News, articles and LawSkills’ services
- Communications which help you find appropriate training in your area
You can access the statutory instrument which includes copies of all the new forms here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/899/made/data.pdf
The LawSkills Monthly Digest
Subscribe to our comprehensive Monthly Digest for insightful feedback on Wills, Probate, Trusts, Tax and Elderly & Vulnerable client matters
Not complicated to read | Requires no internet searching | Simply an informative pdf emailed to your inbox including practice points & tips
Subscribe now for monthly insightful feedback on key issues.
All for only £120 + VAT per year
(£97.50 for 10+)